WAAPP AND PESTICIDES MANAGMENT IN NIGERIA
WHAT CAN WAAPP DO FOR NIGERIANS REGARDING PESTICIDES MANAGEMENT?
The West Africa Agricultural Productivity Programme (WAAPP) has, since becoming effective in Nigeria supported relevant regulatory authorities responsible for pesticides regulation, registration and use (including the Federal Ministries of Environment and Agriculture & Rural Development; National Agency for Foods & Drug Administration and Control; National Environmental Standards & Regulations Enforcement Agency and Consumer Protection Council) under the ‘PESTICIDES PLATFORM’. Thus, the platform has become a cornerstone for the execution of WAAPP-Nigeria pesticides activities through which all stakeholders whether institutional, individuals or groups derived one form of benefit or the other. Thus, through the platform WAAPP supports Nigerians in the following ways:
Through the Pesticides Platform:
- Provision of support to carry out pesticides sensitization activities.
- Support in the production of pesticides related publications
- Provision of support to acquire pesticides application safety kits (personnel protective wears) for distribution to farmers.
- Funding of strategic meetings on pesticides management activity plan.
- Capacity building in form of seminars & workshops
- Support for the establishment of empty pesticides container management centre.
- Support for the development of Pest Management Plan.
- Provision of Free and available Baseline survey information on registration, regulation and use of pesticides in the country for research, academic and other developmental purposes.
- Reduction/ elimination of duplication of functions through gazetting of ECOWAS protocol on the harmonization of regulations governing pesticides in Nigeria.
INDIVIDUAL/ FARMER GROUPS:
- Sponsorship of pesticides sensitization seminars, workshops and road shows funded by WAAPP.
- Free access to pesticides information leaflets and other IED materials produced through WAAPP
- Provision of pesticides application safety kits (personnel protective wears) by pesticides platforms acquired through WAAPP support.
- Provision of pesticides empty container management centre.
- Support to importers/ exporters of pesticides against excessive regulations by domestication of harmonized ECOWAS regulations on pesticides.
- Provision of Free and available Baseline Survey information on registration, regulation and use of pesticides in the country.
- Provision of Free and available well-researched Pest Management Plan for reference by all stakeholders.
WAAPP-NIGERIA WILL CONTINUE TO:
Support the PESTICIDES PLATFORM in sensitization and awareness efforts.
Promote environmentally responsive, health conscious use of pesticides
Partner with all stakeholders (farmers, marketers, importers & regulators)
Sensitize farming communities on health and environmental effects of pesticides mis-use and proper handling through the existing pesticides platform.
Support capacity building of both members of the platform and other key stakeholders
Encourage research into effectiveness of indigenous pest control method.